Checklist for SEO
SEO is practically free. Practically. Today your main expenses will be limited to spending on a specialist in website promotion. If you do not have one, but you have a great desire to understand and do all the work yourself, then we have prepared a checklist for the promotion of your site. It consists of 44 parameters, and implies the skills of seo optimizer, programmer, content manager, designer and a few other specialists. But, what will not go for your favorite site.
Before proceeding to the recommendations, we want to inform you that all that is written here you can apply, but at your own risk. If any operation you do not understand or can not understand, it is better to spend money on a specialist. Here we present only white methods, and therefore, the only danger – lack of knowledge.
Checklist seo optimization site
Basics of the basics
At what point does seo start? Even at the moment of “birth” of your site. When choosing a domain name and hosting. There are several points that affect the position of the site at the stage of creation and allows them to track.
- Domain name. Pay attention to this point. You can not choose a domain for luck. Domain – the name of your site. It is desirable to include your most important keyword. So for the theme of cars would be ideal – avto, for flowers – cvety, for shoes – sneaker. You can add the numbers of your region, if you work for any one.
It is important to understand that the one who is registered domain, in fact, is the owner of the site. Therefore it makes sense to register only the owner of the business.
- The choice of hosting. Hosting – a place where your site’s files are located. The main characteristics of the hosting provider – the speed of the site and reliability (it is important that the site is “lying” as rarely as possible due to the fault of the hoster). We recommend you hosting beget.com. This is an ideal combination of price (from 1600 per year) and quality. The service provides the ability to purchase domain names and bind them to the site immediately. Free SSL security certificate and responsive technical support.
- Registration in “Yandex.Webmaster” and google search console. Registering for these two panels gives you instant information about the dynamics of your promotion, imposed sanctions, indexing errors and other useful information. With these tools, you will not act blindly, but have feedback in real time.
Install analytics counters. We recommend installing three at once: Yandex.Metrika, Google Analytics and Liveinternet. You can find the instructions on the websites of these services. Why three? Because these metrics may produce inaccurate data or even fail. In this case you will have two more tools with which you can monitor the correctness of output data and replace “bad” colleague.
- Choice of CMS. CMS – a system for managing content on the site. Thanks to it you won’t have to call the programmer every time if you want to change the text on a page of the site. You can do it yourself. For each task has its own system: Bitrix is ideal for the online store, WordPress – for a blog, a business card site or a small corporate website, and so on. You should choose based on your needs and pay attention to the advantages/disadvantages of each of them.
- Registration in all social networks. Yes, this is a great tool to attract traffic to your site. The mechanics of working here is very simple – give out quality content and if people are interested, they will go to your site.
Technical Errors: Find and Eliminate
Technical errors affect the speed, loading site and the correct indexing of pages.
- The robots.txt file. This is an instruction to the search engine on what can be indexed and what cannot. If you do not create this file-instruction, the search engine will search the entire resource and index absolutely everything. Then it can easily get into the network data of your visitors. Do not forget to close from indexing the necessary pages.
XML-map of the site. The document containing the structure of the site (sitemap). Another indication of the search robots that can and should be indexed.
- Duplicate content. It is important to find and remove duplicates of the main page, and duplicates of subpages – search engines are not equally welcomed. You can find duplicates using a free program Xenu. Download, install and run it. Choose File – Check URL and enter your domain. Run the check. One method of searching for duplicates is to sort all the pages scanned by url and find duplicates.
- CNC (human-readable urls). Another trust factor on the part of search engines. A good url is not too long and consists of clear and easy to read words. For each of the CMS used a different order of their settings. To select for your desired method will have to yourself.
- The speed of page loading. One of the most important factors. Today, an acceptable loading time is around 3 seconds. After this boundary there is a sharp decline of visitors (people today do not want to, and are not willing to wait long).
Get information about the download speed of your resource here: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/.
How to reduce load time? The most obvious: disable unnecessary animation on the site, optimize the images and videos on the site for web publications, change your hosting provider.
- Check the site for malicious code. It doesn’t even need to be checked in any way. When the user visits your site, the system will warn the user that your site is not safe. All you have to do is to monitor the situation and, if necessary, follow the instructions of search engines.
- Sanctions. To find out if your site has been sanctioned by Yandex, go to “Diagnostics – Security and violations” in Webmaster. To find out if your site has been sanctioned by “Google”, go to “Tools for Google webmasters” – “Manual measures” (automatic filters will have to be calculated by yourself).
Today, content is the most important thing, or rather, the usefulness that it provides. By creating useful content, you help your site reach the top.
- The usefulness and relevance of content to users. Today, SEO is not built on spamming with keywords, but on usefulness. Search engines do not like texts that are not read. And to be read, you must write for the people and give value to their texts. Today, search engines like useful and long texts (3000 characters and more). So, in any case, do not limit yourself :). Write more, give more value, make the text literate (at least: write without errors, break the text into paragraphs, and add pictures).
- Tags. Of today’s important remain: title, description, keywords. Title has a direct impact on search promotion – take care of maximum compliance with the title of the search query. The other two do not play a role in promotion. But, they can take part in the formation of snippets (a small block of information that describes the content of the page).
- Attribute alt in images. He filled in different CMS in different ways. In WordPress – when images are uploaded to the site, in Bitrix – in a recently added module for SEO. Alts need to be prescribed in the event that the user is experiencing difficulties with the Internet and images will not be loaded. In their place will be this very “alt” – a description of the content of the image.
- Headings h1 – h6. The importance of headings should not be underestimated. They play a navigational role for the user (helping navigate the text), and are an important ranking factor. The inclusion of both exact and inaccurate keys in the headings has a serious impact on the formation of the natural output.
- Internal linking. In other words – placing internal links to other pages of the same resource within the text of the page. There are several reasons for using this tool: The first – to increase the user’s dwell time on the site. According to statistics, with the appearance of internal linking the time that users spent on the site increased by 30% or more. Hence the increase in another indicator – the number of pages viewed. The second is to help search robots in the indexing of all pages on your site. The search robot begins indexing the site, moves along the links, indexing the new pages of the site.
- Schema.org micro markup. Schema.org is a semantic data markup dictionary supported by all leading search engines. Its purpose is to help search engine crawlers better understand page content and thus improve results. According to statistics, those sites that use this markup are ranked 3-5 positions higher.
- The uniqueness of content. The first thing I want to recommend – do not steal content in any case. Write texts independently adapting it to your business, the language of communication of your customers. For the uniqueness of their texts can watch here www.text.ru.
The second point applies to you if you produce completely unique content, and no one really does. We are talking about content protection. Content is copied and will be copied. But do you have to protect it? Not always. If you’re writing an author’s text for dentistry, but you’re basing it on well-known techniques to fight tooth decay, then don’t bother with protection. Or you fill out product cards in your online store – there’s also little point in protection.
If you are an outstanding specialist and share your observations, developments and results on the Internet, then you should think about content protection. You can learn more here – https://texterra.ru/blog/kak-zashchititsya-ot-vorovstva-kontenta.html.
Usability is a quality indicator of the ease and usability of the site.
- Habitual arrangement of blocks. Not with simplicity before creating a site is a study of competitors’ sites. Including the “explore” and the typical arrangement of blocks on the site.
- Fonts. To place content on the site should choose simple fonts, without serifs, italics and unnecessary boldness. There is a good method for testing the suitability of the font. Try reading a small (5-7 thousand characters) article written in that font. If you feel tired in your eyes, if you don’t feel comfortable reading, that’s how users on the site will feel.
- “Breadcrumbs.” In other words – the navigation bar, which shows in what place of the site the user is now. This is a very handy navigation tool, but is it really necessary? Not always! It makes sense only if you have a large resource with many pages. If you have a small site, there is no need for it.
- Error 404. It often happens that when you go to a page you get a message saying “the page you are looking for does not exist. Usually after this user thinks that he has nothing more to do here and leaves.
- You can avoid this by displaying a link to the home page, or by using the search box. A separate way – a creative page 404. By this request on the Internet you will find a lot of options: from the placement on the page cartoon characters to characters of “Game of Thrones”.
- Broken links. To find and eliminate all the broken links will help the above program Xenu. To do this, click File – Check URL and in the topmost line, enter the domain of your site. Action – This is relevant to sites of different sizes.
- A button to order a service or call back. Be sure to make it large and prominent, contrasting with the background. The feedback form should contain a minimum of fields (name + phone number – good, just the phone – ideal).
- Phone in the header and footer of the site. Recommendations are the same as with the button – a large and prominent phone number (necessarily with area code).
- TIN / KPP / OGRN. To increase the loyalty of search engines and counterparties it is recommended to place complete information about your organization. Adding the addresses of company branches and other information will be a plus.
- “Share on social networks” buttons. These buttons serve the accumulation of natural link mass and clicking on them has a positive impact on the behavioral factors of your resource.
- Online – consultant. You have to be careful here. In some businesses, it is an invaluable assistant, and in some only in the way.
- This story should be tested. We can recommend an excellent service (JivoSite). It is important to remember that the effectiveness of the chat depends on the specialist who is on “duty”. Therefore, as an alternative, you can use chat-bots, if you can calculate the client’s way from contacting you to the order.
- Adaptive layout. The site should be optimized, first of all, for mobile and desktop displays, and there should be a check on display in different browsers. Adaptability is one of the most important ranking factors.
- The principle of “non-violence”. It consists of not “attacking” the user with an online consultant, a pop-up when the page opens, and ads. There are such instances, but needless to say, that from such sites go immediately.
- Honest links and buttons. This principle is that each link on your site and each button performs exactly the action that implies and lead exactly where it is stated. Think about what you will do if you are promised a free book for clicking on the button, and after clicking offer to buy another book, and give the first one as a gift. You, offended in the best feelings, will leave the page.
- Contacts. Place only a few options for contacting you. These can be: phone, mail and physical address. Do not go overboard with the number of contacts (better to leave one phone number than ten).
Collection of relevant search queries. It is recommended to start with the collection of search queries directly related to your topic. If you sell motorcycles, then your main query will be “motorcycle. With wordstat you can get statistics on the issuance of certain queries to your niche.
- If the site is large or very broad subject matter, this process can take you a very long time. To automate this process, use a free program Slovoeb.
- Remove non-targeted queries. After collecting semantics, you need to check key phrases for the presence of junk and non-targeted queries. These can be words that do not relate to the subject site (eg, if you sell only road motorcycles, then exclude from the list of queries about cross or sport motorcycles). Exclude queries with the words “free”, “boo,” “cheap” – these queries lead to very few targeted and solvent customers.
- Clustering. After filtering the semantic core list of selected keywords should be distributed among the pages to be promoted. In essence, this is how you will prepare ideas for what you need to write for this or that page.
What other recommendations can be given for making a semantic kernel? Make it broad. Include both high, medium and low frequency queries. Over time, you will observe an increase in their positions on a set of low-frequency queries. In addition, by collecting a broad core and properly cleaning it, you will be able to create high-quality and “resonating” content for your audience.
We’ve already talked about content, but there’s another important point: search engines like things to be systematic. That means you need to work out two things: a posting schedule and a rubricator. When the search robot understands your system (literally learn to predict that on Tuesday night you’ll post an infographic, and on Wednesday – a long article), your position will crawl up. After all, the robot will know that it will come to you at a clearly defined time and you will have new, interesting material for it :). There are a few recommendations:
- Planning. On paper, write down everything you will post and how often. Work out rubrics (infographics, videos, longreads, games, and more).
- Content generation. The surest way is to look at what your competitors are posting. You can’t copy blindly, but you’re welcome to copy ideas. To get more ideas you can: talk to experts or talk to sales and find out what your customers are interested in. Read forums and sections with questions from consumers. You won’t have any trouble generating ideas.
- Be sure to test your ideas for usefulness to users. Don’t write text for the sake of the text itself.
Distributing content online
You can distribute your content yourself. You don’t have to spam every available source to do this. There are many ways to do this officially and with the benefit of the site.
- Social media and online media. You can use social media to promote your content. Simply post links to publications from your site on your profile. If we’re talking about getting natural conversions to your resource, that’s enough.
- Another option is web 2.0 media. Resources where content generation is given directly to users are called next generation media or web 2.0 media. All you have to do is write useful publications and audience recognition will not be long in coming. The increase in traffic to your site, as a consequence, too.
- Newsletters. A good way not to lose a visitor – get a contact for communication from him (most often – email). Thanks to her you can communicate with the visitor and little by little lead him to the sale.
- Commenting on third-party sites. You can act as an expert in forums and forums where they discuss your business niche. If you become an active member of these communities, your resource will get additional traffic.
- Expert interactions and external content marketing. It’s also called guest content marketing. Find an expert in your niche and offer them useful material in exchange for a link to your site at the end. Or offer to exchange links.
- Newsjacking. An ambiguous tool – some berate it with the last words, while others frantically seek out infomercials. Newsjacking is about drawing attention to a brand or product through popular newsworthy causes. In other words, your job is to get caught up in the wave of hype and promote yourself. An example of newsjacking was the Reebok advertising campaign (link), or rather, not the ad itself, but the fact that thousands of companies have used and interpreted this concept for themselves.
We hope that our checklist of optimization and promotion of the site you are not tired. Following these recommendations, you will be able to move your resource in the organic extradition faster. Do not take on everything at once. Start small – make a social network for your company, write a content plan and find profile forums and communities where you can become “your guy”.
Move from the simple to the complex and you’ll get there. And to make it a little easier for you, we’ve prepared another checklist. In it you’ll find a complete list of parameters that you need to keep track of when you’re engaged in search engine promotion. In SEO, you won’t have grades or a green light signaling that you’re doing everything right. You only have the ability to rely on the following metrics:
- Total traffic.
- Sources of traffic.
- Bounce rates.
- Browsing depth.
- Time spent on the site.
- Conversion coefficient.