SEO optimization on wordpress
As of 2019, WordPress occupies more than 30% of the CMS (content management system) market – content management systems for website pages. Such popularity is due to: ease of use, wide potential in application and extensive opportunities to promote sites on WP.
CMS is actively developing – updated rolled out almost every week. The latest updates (like “Gutenberg”) open new possibilities in the placement and promotion of content on the Internet. In this article, we compiled a comprehensive list of recommendations for SEO promotion of the site on wordpress.
What is SEO
SEO or search engine optimization is a complex of measures to influence search engines in order to display the website in the top search engine results. Is it so important to get to the top? According to the American company imFORZA from 70 to 80% of users ignore ads and go straight to the section of the organic output – the one that starts immediately after the paid block. These people are most interested in satisfying their needs right now, so to be at least in the top 3 – this is what the majority of commercial site owners strive for.
And WP today makes it possible to get into the “top three” of search results. Therefore, most resource owners entrust their site to WordPress.
Factors affecting the seo optimization of the site on wordpress
In this section we will list factors that have a significant impact on the position in extradition, as well as those whose influence is greatly exaggerated or even – false.
Site with www better to promote
This is a myth. There is absolutely no relationship between the spelling of the site name (www.site.ru or site.ru) and success in promotion. There is only a difference in ease of typing the address in the search box. But, it is important for you to decide how you want to appear in a search with or without www. The fact that the same site with and without www, search engine perceives as two different resources. In addition, since this year in browsers Google Chrome, automatically removed prefix www, and over time will also in the search engine, we recommend you to configure now redirects to addresses without www.
You can select the desired site address in the WP admin panel under Settings > General and specify your version of the site address.
Who definitely shouldn’t redirect to a non www address? If you are just planning or have already started to create a site. Or your site is very young, the transition will pass for your site almost imperceptibly. If you have an “old” and it has a share of traffic from search, then this option is not for you. Here’s the thing:
- If you move the site to an address without a www at once, all pages will disappear from their places in the search – in fact, you will become a new player for the search engine with zero credibility. And, as a consequence, you will lose all visitors and profits for a long time.
- If you translate the site page by page, you risk spending months or years doing it. And incur a tangible monetary cost.
If you still decide that you want a short and neat site address, then follow the instructions above and register your site in services: Yandex.Webmaster and Google Search Console. Both services have the ability to specify how you want to see the address of your resource:
- In Yandex, it’s simple – section “Indexing Settings” > “Moving Site” > and choose “add https” or “add www”.
- In Google Search Console you can register through your google account. Then you need to confirm the ownership of the domain. Go to “site settings” and specify the primary domain.
Add SEO plugin.
If you create a large-scale resource, you’ll definitely need an assistant to keep track of the appearance of duplicates, the correctness of indexing and many other parameters. You can delegate this – install special programs – plugins for seo promotion:
- All in one SEO pack / SEO Yoast for WordPress. The most important plugins for SEO optimization. Which of them to choose? It’s hard to say – both are worthy competitors. The first has been working successfully since 2007, and the second has a higher score. On the settings of these plugins, you can read here
- Akismet is one of the best solutions against spam and easy to configure.
- Security is important and Sucuri is one of the best plugins for this on WordPress.
- Hyper Cache is for caching. This plugin speeds up and facilitates the interaction between the WordPress engine and your browser, reducing the load on your hosting.
XML sitemap – a kind of instructions to a search engine about what needs to be crawled and indexed. It’s created using the optional All in One SEO module in the WordPress admin panel. Go to All in One SEO > Manage Modules and enable the map with the Activate button.
Choose link format
An important issue is choosing how links to your pages are displayed on the Internet. Look, what does the link to any of your pages look like now? Something like site.ru/?p=123? It would be correct to create a human-like urls (CNC). So that every visitor, yet not entering the page could understand from the text in the link that awaits him there.
Using Latin letters for links
We already know that it is important to create links understandable to people. Take as an example the title of an article “What flowers to plant in the spring”. Your address can be this: site.ru/which-flowers-planting-spring.html. If you choose the address in Russian, then there will be difficulties in its encoding and your beautiful “url” will become a set of numbers and letters.
We recommend you to always use Latin letters to write the address. This is what the address of your page about flowers will look like: site.ru/kakie-cvety-posadit-vesnoy.html.
Use of keywords
Today it is not enough to stuff texts with keys, to be in the top. With this approach can only be under sanctions. Today, the rules for using keys in their texts are as follows:
- The text should be useful, interesting and readable. What does this mean? It means that if you’re writing about how to choose a faucet for the bathroom, then in the article you should give reliable, practically applicable information and present it in a structured text with lists, opinions (experts), facts and more. Ideally, after reading your text, the user should go and choose the faucet himself, and just perfect if on your tip he does it in your or a recommended store.
- Key words and phrases should be spread evenly throughout the text, not collected in one paragraph. Do not allow perespamah keywords – is fraught with a site sanctions.
- The text should be voluminous. For Google, the minimum volume requirements are around 3000 characters for Yandex 800-1000.
The use and optimization of headings
Absolute in its significance factor – the use and optimization of headings H1-H6. H1 – describes the content of the page. It is displayed in the search engine and browser tabs (for ease of orientation in multiple tabs). H2-H6 – nesting levels of text and characterize only the material enclosed in them. H1 on the page can only be one, while the rest of the headings can be as many as you want. Why are they so important?
The fact is that the better you fit the headings to user requests, the more often it will be clicked. Another role played by the fact that visitors do not read articles, and “scan” them, running through the headings, and read only those parts that interest them.
What headline advice can I give you? Try to include your high-frequency keyword or phrase in the Title. And test different variations until you hit the right pain for your target audience. Include slightly less relevant words and phrases in the h2-h6 headlines that elaborate on the topic of your article.
Today Description has no effect on the position of the site, but – is responsible for an attractive snippet (a brief description of the page under the title). A very important fact – on the descriptor search robots absolutely do not care. You fill it out solely to inform users about the content of the page. There are a few recommendations:
- The text is no longer than 156 characters. More – you can, but the text will not be displayed in full.
- The text should clearly and distinctly make it clear what the user will see on the page and how it will benefit him.
- Include keywords in the text and if there is a match with the user query, the search engine will highlight matching text in bold.
These are the old timers of the seo world. To date, their filling – an absolute waste of time. Meta keywords tags are no longer a must-have element of SEO promotion since the early 2000s. Google states that the search engine does not consider them since 2009, and Yandex still indicates that keywords can be used in the formation of a snippet in the search results. Anyway, today it is much more correct to pay attention to the competent filling of Title, Description and keywords in the text.
Using Alt and Title descriptions in images
When you’re uploading graphics to the site do you prescribe alt and title for images? No?! And you should! They play an important role in promoting your site and here’s why:
- Sometimes people aren’t searching for something through a search, but in the images section. And, thanks to the fact that you will now fill in these parameters they will quickly realize that they have come to the right place. If the caption will not have pictures, your potential visitors and clients can simply pass by, because they can not understand that this is the very thing you’re looking for.
- If the Internet connection is poor, if the graphics will not be loaded, instead of your picture will show just the title – so you can understand the content of the picture.
Another important ranking factor. The first thing it affects – the completeness of indexing all pages on your site. Search robot will go to all the links that are placed on the page, and index those sections that have not yet reached.
The second important aspect of the impact of linking is to improve behavioral factors. User session time and depth of page views gives a search engine information that your resource is interesting and in demand (it stays long and look at many pages, so it is interesting). If you improve these factors, then your chances of highly promoting your site in search engines is very high.
Outbound links to reputable resources
Yes, in the world of seo everyone recommends buying links from popular sites on your topic. And you try to link to an authoritative source yourself. This can have a positive effect:
- Search engines will see that you are linking to authoritative sources on your topic and not to any dubious portals.
- Maybe the owners of those authoritative sources can do a good deed and link back to you.
Use social networking sites
Get an account on all popular social networks and leave links to your resource there. Share posts from your site on social media. Put a “share on social networks” button on your site. Some of the traffic you get, though not instantly. The main thing is to do it regularly. A action with “sharing buttons” (share) will have a positive effect on the formation of behavioral factors on the site.
Promotion of the resource with HTTPS
There is a hypothesis (with confirmed cases) that Yandex ranks sites on https higher than without. If the site is brand new, then translate to https should be done in the first place. If your site is not young, the protocol change is fraught with a sharp loss of positions in search.
Place content that does not lose relevance
You have less work in the future if you place on your resource articles that do not lose relevance.
Remember the harm of gray and black SEO
Advises you to play by the rules of search engines and do not indulge in various “schemes” to cheat search engines:
- Do not rely solely on the promotion of links. If before it was faster to promote those who have more links, today those who have more interesting content and better optimization. The penalty for misuse of links – Minusinsk algorithm (will bring down your traffic for several months).
- Do not use too many keywords (overspam is punishable by sanctions).
- Do not use a variety of content substitution and redirection (dorway and cloaking).
SEO promotion of a resource on wordpress can be successful if you take it seriously. WordPress is a very flexible and reliable system with a lot of opportunities for the promotion of your resource on the Internet. You only need to properly develop and optimize it in time.