Telegram has announced the launch of its official advertising platform. So, soon, advertising messages will appear in Telegram channels for the first time.
Let’s find out what advertising in Telegram will look like and how it will work.
How the official Telegram ads will work
According to a post published by Pavel Durov:
- Telegram will not show advertising messages in chat lists, private conversations or groups. The ads will only affect large channels – services that already have ads and the support of which leads to the largest expenditures on the part of Telegram.
- No personal information will be used to show ads. User privacy is paramount to Telegram. The content of advertising messages will depend only on the topics of the channels in which they are displayed, not on users’ personal data.
- Official Telegram advertising messages will be unobtrusive. Only short texts without external links or photos will be allowed in them. The ad can only appear after all new messages in the channel have been viewed.
- Ads posted by Telegram channel owners themselves in the form of regular messages are now found in Telegram channels. The official advertising messages that Telegram is introducing will be much more comfortable for users. The revenue from such advertisements will allow Telegram to further provide users with a free and unlimited service.
How will the launch of Telegram ads work
Learn more about running ads in Telegram:
- The launch will be done through the https://promote.telegram.org/ platform.
- To start creating ads on the platform, you must first log in. This requires you to have an existing Telegram account
- Once logged into the platform, you can run ads using your personal account or by creating an organization (based on a channel or group).
- Telegram ads are displayed in large public one-to-many channels with more than 1,000 subscribers and are limited to 160 characters.
- All links in the ad should lead to a Telegram channel or bot in the t.me/link or @link format. Links to external sites are not allowed.
- For the targeting settings, you need to select the languages and topics that suit your audience, or specify the specific channels to place.
- After creating the ad, you need to set the CPM (Cost-Per-Mille) for the ad, that is, the price per thousand views. The minimum price per thousand impressions is 2 euros.
- A minimum upfront payment of €2,000,000 is required to run an ad on Telegram’s advertising platform. Of this amount, Telegram retains 1,000,000 euros as a deposit, and provides the remaining amount to the advertiser to spend on ad impressions.
What’s the bottom line? At the moment, Telegram’s advertising platform is operating in test mode and, based on the minimum deposit amount, is available to a very limited number of people. More specifically, big brands.
Most likely, as time passes, the minimum upfront payment will decrease, and there will be more tools for ad customization and targeting.