Every year the number of mobile device users is growing, and the share of mobile traffic on websites is increasing. However, it is not always convenient to open the browser to order the right thing, find out the schedule of offices, check the balance of the card. Mobile applications save you from unnecessary actions.
Think back to the last time you checked the balance on your bank card. I bet most of you didn’t open the browser from your phone and go to the bank’s official website. Most likely, you simply clicked on the icon of a mobile application, entered your login password or put your finger on the fingerprint scanner and in a couple of seconds you got the information you needed.
The same principle is applied to hundreds, thousands and millions of other people among which is your target audience. That’s why if your company still doesn’t have a mobile app, it’s time to do something about it.
Today you can create a mobile app in-house using free app builders. In this review, we will tell you about the best app builders, how not to get confused in them and which one to choose.
Criteria for choosing and evaluating mobile app builders
You will find dozens of paid and free mobile app builders on Google. However, before spending time on a thorough study of the tools, interface and prices, I recommend creating a list of requirements for the service. Put the basic criteria into it (outlined below), and then complete the list with your wishes:
Platforms. It is desirable to choose a constructor, which allows you to create an application for iOS and Android. Such a service will help to save time, because otherwise you will have to do double work.
The convenience of the interface. It is a matter of taste, but a lot depends on it. For example, if you do not know English well and the designer is not russified, you will have to translate the name of each tool or even poke at the buttons at random. And this drags out the development time.
Set of tools. Some app builders have templates for different types of mobile applications – such as photo and video editors, readers, online stores, media sites, and blogs. They can even be branded – for free or for a small fee. Be sure to check if this option is available for the service you are looking at.
Price. Some platforms are available to users free of charge, others will ask you to pay a fee for downloading or installing the software in the app stores, while others can only be used with a paid license. Clarify this point before you start creating anything.
Possibility of monetization. If you are planning to monetize the application in the future, see if you can create such products in the constructor. Otherwise you will have to choose another service and spend time on development again. If you are going to promote your company’s products and services in a mobile application, choose a service that has a ban on displaying ads.
Before reviewing a selection of the best mobile app builders, answer the question, “Does your company even need an app?” Think about your target audience, products and services. If you sell expensive and/or technically complex products – such as IT outsourcing or road construction equipment – a mobile app is unlikely to help you increase sales. The CJM (Customer Journey Map) for such products is somewhat different than for consumer goods.
5 best free mobile app builders
Free mobile app builder for Android. Requires no coding skills, contains ready-made templates. Suitable for businesses, media and anyone who wants to create their own mobile product with further monetization.
- Completely free service;
- Clear interface with tips on each step;
- More than 70 application templates, including templates for business;
- Easy-to-use editor with a display of changes in real time;
- Free software placement in the App Stores.
- No White Label in the minimum rate;
- You can not create mobile applications for iOS;
The app builder is conditionally free. Allows you to create iOS and Android applications for business with gamification, promotions and discounts, push notifications.
- Several free layouts to choose from;
- Multi-platform – iOS and Android;
- No ads in the application;
- Provision of source codes – Xcode Gradle.
- Lack of push notifications on the free plan;
- Tech-support only on paid rates.
The conditionally free mobile application builder – you pay only for the placement of the finished product on the hosting service. The test period is 7 days. Allows you to create applications for iOS and Android devices. Does not require programming skills. Suitable for developing applications business cards, chat rooms and messengers, mobile online stores, bulletin boards, payment systems, etc.
- Free test period with hosting service – 7 days;
- Multi-platform – iOS and Android;
- Ready-made layouts and solutions for different types of businesses;
- Possibility to create applications with subsequent monetization;
- Clear instructions with tips at each step.
- Will have to pay for hosting at the end of the test period;
- A limited set of tools for all tariffs, except “Premium”.
- Price: from $ 9.99 / month for a standard tariff.
Conditionally free multiplatform application builder. You create a product for free, publish it on Play Market and App Store with subsequent support for $ 50 per month. Requires no programming skills and knowledge of the code.
- The ability to create apps for iOS and Android;
- Multi-language interface;
- User-friendly editor with real-time preview;
- A set of basic modules and the ability to choose the design;
- Import of goods from CSV and YML files;
- Push-notifications in the application;
- Advanced analytics.
- Paid publication of the application in the Stores;
- Support only after you pay the tariff.
A mobile app builder with a high entry threshold. Suitable, rather, for professionals who want to learn a new profession, and studios. Most of the layouts, including for applications with online stores, is distributed under license, but there is a demo version.
- There is a demo version;
- Free chat app creation;
- Multiplatform – you can create apps for iOS and Android;
- Open source code;
- Tthe ability to create an app from scratch – without layouts or templates;
- Built-in marketing tools to retain and convert leads into customers.
- High entry threshold – requires installation on the server, learning the features of the program, etc.;
- Applications with online stores and a set of premium layouts – only for a fee;
- On the Start tariff you have to install the program every time to create a new application.
How to create a mobile app in app builders
The algorithm for creating a mobile app will be approximately the same, regardless of which of the listed services you choose:
Registration in the service. On some platforms, it is sufficient to authorize using the data from your social network profiles. And this can be done after you’ve created your mobile app.
Selecting and customizing a template. If there are ready-made templates in the builder, select the one that best suits the specifics of your business. Upload your company information, products and services, logos and other brand attributes. Save your changes. Don’t forget to complete the app with a picture that users will see in the App Stores.
Upload your mobile app to the App Stores. The service will will create a file for your app, which you’ll need to upload to the App Stores and Play Market. Usually everything can be done in the service’s front office – there is no need to go to third-party sites. If the designer is a paid service, it will ask you to pay for publishing the application or hosting it. At the same step you can connect monetization, if you plan to show ad units in the application.
Check how the app works. Download it from the Store to your mobile device and test its functionality. If you find any bugs or flaws, go back to your personal account, make some changes, and upload the product to the Stores again.
Keep track of your statistics. Periodically check the statistics of your mobile app – keep track of the number of downloads, see what kind of feedback your users are writing in the App Stores, follow up on negatives, and take note of any requests or feedback from potential customers.
To create an application for mobile devices, you only need to choose convenient app builders and allocate time for development. Have you already tried to launch such products? What kinds of designers did you use and what was the result? Tell us in the comments.